Sunday, November 22, 2009

Personal Reflection

The grade twelve ISU has definitely been challenging, but captivating at the same time. One of the greatest skills I feel I have honed from this project is the ability and keenness to analyze literature much more critically. Having been pushed to dig deep into a text, and pull out significant moments, quotations, symbols, motifs, themes and characters, I believe I understand Lam’s intentions with Bloodletting & Miraculous Cures much better. Truly, I feel that applying a critical knowledge to any art form, whether it be film, radio, television, theatre, art or literature, furthers the comprehension of the medium, which in turn allows for complete enjoyment. Having continued to read after this project, I find myself examining texts much more closely, with the intent of unearthing the ‘core’ of its intent.

Reading a work that has mastered both the technicalities of writing and the complexities of good story telling, I do feel that I have become a much better writer myself. A profound impact from reading a great novel inspires you to adapt their writing styles and themes into your own. As a young writer who is pursuing writing in many forms, I am ecstatic to have gained great insight into the art of story telling, and I hope that Lam’s riveting words will influence my future writing endeavours, both academically and leisurely.

Writing the apologia helped me define what I perceive to be the Canadian identity. To me, I feel that it is about embracing that which is distinctly Canada (like winter, for example) as opposed to rejecting it. It is accepting a huge variety of cultures, races, occupations, and ultimately, life paths. In terms of discovering the Canadian influence in other texts, I feel that Lam has taught me that it will not always be direct, or stereotypical. Exploring a culture’s identity takes a much more subtle approach, and it is often interwoven into the core of the text, and used to accent the author’s heritage.

Above all else, Vincent Lam has given me vast (probably too much!) insight into the human condition. If there is one idea that I am grateful Lam exposed for me, it is the fact that there isn’t an answer to everything. The explication helped me discover that life itself is an enigma, and try as I may to crack the code to the “meaning of life,” the result is simply inevitable confusion (and possible insanity, as in the case with Sri).

Overall, I found the experience of reading, and analyzing Bloodletting & Miraculous Cures a complete joy, and I am happy to have gotten the opportunity to explore both creative and analytical writing in the unique and up-and-coming medium of blogs.

1 comment:

  1. This is a fine reflection, Max. Very thoughtful and thorough.

    ReplyDelete